Theory - 33 :- PCMCIA Card

ICTSM Theory Notes: PCMCIA Card (PC Card) Standards

PCMCIA Card (PC Card) Hardware Notes

ICTSM 2nd Year Semester III Laptop Hardware

1. Overview & Definition

PCMCIA stands for Personal Computer Memory Card International Association (1989–2010). It introduced credit-card-sized expansion modules—known as PC Cards—to add memory, networking, and hardware capabilities to laptops.

Figure 1: Vector Drawing of PCMCIA Pinout & Structure
68-PIN CONNECTOR PCMCIA PC CARD Width: 54.0 mm Length: 85.6 mm

2. Card Types & Specifications

All PCMCIA cards have identical length (85.6 mm) and width (54.0 mm) with a 68-pin interface, but vary in thickness:

Figure 2: Graphical Cross-Section & Thickness Profile
Type I 3.3 mm Type II 5.0 mm Type III 10.5 mm
Type I 3.3 mm

Used primarily for RAM, Flash memory, and system memory expansion.

Type II 5.0 mm

Most common. Used for Ethernet NICs, Modems, Wi-Fi, and Sound cards.

Type III 10.5 mm

Thickest profile. Designed for miniature ATA hard disk drives.

3. Backwards Slot Compatibility

Larger slots can host thinner card types, but thick cards cannot fit into thin slots:

Figure 3: Laptop Slot Compatibility & Insertion Capability
Type I Slot • 1x Type I Card Type II Slot • 1x Type II Card OR 2x Type I Cards Type III Slot • 1x Type III Card OR 1x Type I + 1x Type II

4. Quick Summary Table

Type Thickness Common Applications Compatible Slots
Type I 3.3 mm SRAM, Flash Memory Expansion Type I, II, III Slots
Type II 5.0 mm Ethernet NICs, Modems, Wi-Fi, Sound Type II, III Slots
Type III 10.5 mm Miniature ATA Hard Drives Type III Slots Only

5. Key Key Features & Obsoletion

  • Hot-Swapping: Cards can be inserted or removed "on-the-fly" while the computer is ON without restarting.
  • Reason for Obsoletion: USB standards, built-in motherboard network controllers, and ExpressCard slots phased out PCMCIA in the early 2000s.
NCVT Exam Points:
  • PCMCIA cards use a 68-pin connector interface.
  • Type II (5.0 mm) is the most commonly used card format.
  • Do not confuse PCMCIA with Smart Cards (used for identity/security).

Post a Comment

0 Comments